Thresher helps organizations find the high-value signal hidden in the noisy world of human-generated text data. Thresher is the result of a collaboration between a team of data scientists from Harvard and a former intelligence officer who understands the needs of experts conducting high stakes analysis.
We are seeking a qualified intern to curate and analyze our Chinese media feed. The job will entail research, analysis, and writing. Daily responsibilities include maintaining & augmenting our current data feeds, researching additional data sources, determining the content of incoming feeds and writing reports. This is a paid internship ($15/hour).
We are a small, remote team. As such, we are looking for highly motivated individuals to take ownership of their project. Our interns do not make coffee, and will become an integral part of our team. The ideal candidate will take initiative, ask questions, and come ready to learn.
Skills you must have:
● Available to work 20 hours per week, with a flexible schedule
● Professional level of Mandarin (HSK IV, TOCFL 3, or ILR 2+) or higher required, fluency preferred
● Demonstrated initiative and problem solving skills
● Well-organized and efficient
● Good team player
● Basic technical proficiency (e.g., adept in Microsoft Office, Google Docs suite)
● Flexible and keen to learn new skills
Skills we’d like to hear about:
● Knowledge of international relations and/or the Asia-Pacific region (China in particular)
● Familiarity with data science concepts and techniques
● Exposure to Elasticsearch, machine learning, natural language processing, and/or AWS
● Collaborating in a diverse team
● Taking initiative
● Conveying complex topics concisely and clearly