*Background*: As a research institute of the University of Maryland, the National Foreign Language Center (NFLC) works to define current and future language needs of the nation and helps build capacity to meet those needs.
*Position: * Linguists / Mandarin Chinese Language SMEs / Materials Developers at the NFLC create and review language lessons and e-learning materials. The posted salary range is for a full-time position. All positions are salaried with benefits, and salary will reflect full or part-time status.
Examples of tasks include but are not limited to:
- Selecting, transcribing, and translating authentic target language content (reading, listening, video).
- Creating purpose written or semi-scripted content (reading, listening).
- Developing instructional materials according to project specifications.
- Explaining grammar concepts and developing grammar activities for language learners.
- Explaining cultural concepts for language learners
- Reviewing e-learning content and providing feedback on quality to ensure adherence to project standards.
- Working with team members and external consultants to improve the quality of e-learning materials.
- Providing process documentation and developing guidelines for educational materials.
- And performing other duties as assigned or as needed depending upon project deliverables.
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree.
- Must have native Chinese language skills.
- Must have experience in at least one of the following areas:
- Instruction or instructional design
- Materials development and review
- Curriculum development, assessment, or test development
- Language teaching experience at the K-12, college, or adult levels
- Must have the ability to explain target language grammar concepts to English speakers.
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks, prioritize work, and work under tight deadlines.
- Must have excellent English and target language writing skills.
- Must be proficient in English and Mandarin.
- Must have legal right to work in the US.
- Master’s degree or PhD in linguistics, education, area studies, or related field.
- Experience teaching at the high school or college level.
- Experience and/or coursework in linguistics: syntax, semantics, morphology, phonology, discourse, etc.
- Experience with transcription and translation.
- Experience with language proficiency scales.
The University of Maryland, College Park, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.
The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, creed, marital status, political affiliation, personal appearance, or on the basis of rights secured by the First Amendment, in all aspects of employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
$65,000.00 – $67,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
We are required to follow the University of Maryland Covid-19 protocols and require proof of vaccination.
- Bachelor’s (Required)
- Mandarin Chinese language proficiency (Required)