NPR is seeking a dynamic reporter for our Shanghai Bureau location. In this role as the primary correspondent for Asia, this reporter will develop ideas/proposals for reports and programs about China, Hong Kong, and Asia. You’ll gather information and reporting for news programs, prepare present and transmit reports and program segments from abroad. This will role will have the ability to take true ownership of regional coverage from China, report breaking news and develop stories illustrating trends and significant political, economic, social, and cultural issues from China.
- Minimum of 6 years broadcast experience, including international reporting and radio production.
- Demonstrated expertise in all aspects of broadcast journalism – reporting, voicing, editing, producing full radio pieces, use of microphones, recorders, computers and telecommunication transmissions via phone ISDN lines, satellite phones and/or Internet.
- Must have experience in execution of sophisticated broadcast and online journalism, such as long-form features and documentaries.
- Proven understanding of complex foreign policy issues, especially those involving China and Asia. In-depth knowledge of regional history, politics, and economics.
- Experience working overseas, especially in China, strongly preferred. Experience in living and/or working in difficult international situations is highly valuable.
- Fluency in Mandarin is strongly preferred.