Reports to: Director or Senior Director, National Security and International Policy
Staff reporting to this position: None
Department: National Security and International Policy
Position classification: Exempt, full time
Minimum compensation: $60,000/$68,000
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Policy Analyst or Senior Policy Analyst for China in its National Security and International Policy (NSIP) department.
The Policy Analyst or Senior Policy Analyst will assist the Director or Senior Director for China Policy to advance American Progress’ agenda toward critical issues in the U.S.-China relationship. American Progress analyzes the People’s Republic of China’s (PRC) conduct pertaining to equities involving American Progress’ five policy priority areas, as well as toward the PRC’s role in the context of transnational challenges with countries and regions across the world. This individual will work on a wide range of issues related to China and monitor and report on new developments in the PRC’s domestic and foreign policy, with a special focus on the PRC’s climate and environmental policies.
The NSIP department’s work is driven by American Progress’ mission to improve the lives of all through bold, progressive ideas as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country. American Progress focuses on building connectivity between national security and international policy issues and the organization’s five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust in democracy
The ideal candidate will have excellent Chinese language, research, writing, and analytical skills. Strong oral and written communication skills and the ability to interact well with high-level policy professionals, both internally and externally, are required.
- Conduct and support original research and analysis on American Progress’ priority China-related policy questions, with a particular focus on the PRC’s climate and environmental policies.
- Develop, implement, and manage products—including reports, issue briefs, and columns—op-eds, related events, and other activities to elevate American Progress’ China agenda in ways that increase opportunities to improve policy outcomes.
- Coordinate and plan meetings and events.
- Assist with general editorial duties and digital presence.
- Maintain expertise in assigned areas of responsibility.
- Represent American Progress with the public and outside groups and individuals.
- Build and maintain relationships across the China policy community, including with U.S. officials in the administration and on Capitol Hill, embassy and foreign government officials, and with allied nongovernmental and policy organizations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Advanced degree in international relations or equivalent combination of education and experience; a focus on China-related study is a plus.
- At least three years of professional experience on China-related issues is required for the Policy Analyst position; at least five years of professional experience on China-related issues is required for the Senior Policy Analyst position.
- Expertise in the PRC political system and policy process with a demonstrated interest in U.S. foreign policy toward the PRC.
- Ability to communicate with Chinese counterparts in proficient to fluent spoken Chinese and proficient written Chinese (i.e., email and text communication) is highly valued; the interview process will include a Mandarin language test.
- Professional relationships with U.S. and foreign policymakers, advocates, and research community leaders in the China policy space are highly valued.
- Strong skills in writing, analysis, presentation, and communication.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work both independently and on a team.
- Direct international field and/or government service experience is a plus.
- Ability to perform under tight deadlines and manage many moving pieces and concurrent projects.
- Ability to travel internationally and experience in planning and supporting international delegations and senior leadership.
- Demonstrated research and analytical skills.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefit package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70. The Policy Analyst position has a minimum salary of $60,000, and the Senior Policy Analyst position has a minimum salary of $68,000.
Link to original posting: https://www.americanprogress.org/job/policy-analyst-senior-policy-analyst-china/