CSIS seeks a Research Assistant/Associate to join the China Power Project. The Research Assistant/Associate will primarily support the development of content for the ChinaPower website (chinapower.csis.org). Key research areas include international affairs, Chinese foreign policy, and data analysis. Candidates should be motivated self-starters that enjoy a wide variety of analytical tasks. Less experienced candidates with stronger skillsets will be considered.
- Assisting with the development of content for the ChinaPower website;
- Researching and writing on issues related to China;
- Monitoring issues concerning China’s international affairs;
- Collecting, analyzing, and manipulating complex datasets;
- Proofreading and editing.
- Bachelor’s degree required;
- Hold at least a 3.3 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) from an accredited U.S. institution or equivalent from a non-U.S. institution;
- Superb writing and editing skills;
- Demonstrated knowledge of issues concerning Chinese foreign policy and international relations;
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Excel/Google Sheets;
- Experience with quantitative and qualitative analysis;
- Ability to work independently and manage competing priorities;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
Strongly Preferred Qualifications
- Master’s degree;
- Advanced proficiency in Mandarin Chinese;
- Familiarity with website development and/or content management systems;
- Experience with general-purpose statistical software (e.g. STATA, R, SPSS);
- Working knowledge of SQL databases;
- Background in data visualization.