Based in Beijing, China.
- Work with commercial partners to design and execute go-to-market structures and strategies that enable the development and scale of a new, innovative sanitation technology sector in China.
- Develop a pipeline of potential Chinese commercial partners to broker deals for commercializing and taking products to market in China and abroad.
- Support identification and execution of pilot and demonstration projects of innovative sanitation projects to stimulate market demand.
- Identify and document incentives, disincentives and any other barriers to market development and customer adoption. Propose strategies and mechanisms to accelerate adoption and commercialization of innovative sanitation solutions.
- Support Chinese commercial partners in developing plans for export and licensing of technologies to other parts of the world, focused on developing markets.
- Provide strategic analysis and insight on the market landscape, dynamics & segmentation (including market sizing, trends, and likelihood of early adopters) to commercial and business partners and foundation leadership.
- Lead insightful research to bring the voice of the customers to commercial partners and technology developers.
- As guided by colleagues in the China Country Office, engage with relevant government agencies and ministries to understand and influence policies, standards and regulations, procurement trends, subsidies, and other drivers to promote adoption and successful commercialization of sanitation innovation.
- Represent the foundation to key external constituencies, including participation in conferences and meetings, to private sector leaders, and key funding institutions.
- Contribute to strategy development, program planning and execution in coordination with Gates Foundation colleagues, cross-functional partners and stakeholders.
- Undergraduate degree in Business, Engineering, Sciences, Planning, or equivalent experience. Advanced degree (e.g. MBA, MA/MSc, PhD) strongly preferred;
- 10+ years of relevant work experience in private sector roles;
- Experience working with a range of clients, colleagues, consultants, and other partners with broad exposure to private, public and NGO sectors;
- Proven strategic problem-solving skills to structure the analysis needed to address a complex and ambiguous question, within the resources and time constraints provided;
- Demonstrated creativity, high energy, positive attitude and initiative to solve unstructured problems with little oversight;
- Top-notch organizational and project management skills and an ability to prioritize work based on minimal direction and competing priorities;
- Excellent skills in relationship management, communication, collaboration and presentation;
- Strong project management abilities;
- Ability to communicate fluently in both Mandarin and English.
Nice to have
- Experience working in the sanitation or water sector;
- Technical expertise in engineering or science;
- Government relationship experience, engaging with ministerial, municipal and/or regulatory officials;
- Experience in successfully launching and growing a new product category and/or significant innovation in a market other than China.