The Teacher Program staff at American Councils is responsible for implementing the Teachers of Critical Languages Program, an international exchange program that recruits and places English as a Foreign Language (EFL) teachers from China, Egypt, and Morocco within American K-12 schools where they teach their native language and culture for one academic year. Implementation includes but is not limited to recruitment, selection, placement, program training and support, and alumni relations. During the summer, the main program activities include pre-departure orientation preparation in June and the program orientation which will take place July 31 – August 8, 2019.
The Teachers of Critical Languages Program Summer Internship is an unpaid internship that presents students with an opportunity to work with a diverse group of teachers from China, Egypt, and Morocco and learn about implementing an exchange program. The departmental intern will work closely with the Senior Program Officer and other team members to help with tasks associated with an international exchange program, which will provide the intern with valuable insight into the field of international education and the workings of a nonprofit organization. If interns are interested in receiving academic credit or must fulfill an intern requirement, we are happy to work with the intern and their university to satisfy necessary requirements.
- Working towards a Bachelor’s degree or graduate degree in a relevant field (e.g. language, education, education or public policy, area studies, etc.);
- Currently enrolled in a higher education institution;
- Study abroad or international experience preferred, but not required;
- Knowledge of MS Word, Excel, Access, Publisher, and social media platforms;
- Ability to work independently while contributing to an overall team effort;
- Ability to handle multiple priorities effectively; strong organizational skills; detail-oriented;
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English;
- Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills; and
- Foreign language skills in Arabic or Chinese a plus, but not required.
Learn more and apply: